Governor Shumlin announces safety improvements for Route 4 in the Hartford area

first_imgFollowing a recent increase in the number of serious motor vehicle crashes on US Route 4 in the Hartford-Woodstock area, including four fatalities in recent months, Governor Peter Shumlin today announced that the Agency of Transportation will install portable message boards reminding drivers to be alert and focus on safety, pave deteriorated stretches of the roadway surface, install centerline rumble strips in appropriate areas, conduct an engineering review to determine what further safety treatments may be warranted, and work with local officials on proposed improvements. ‘My heart goes out to the families of those injured or killed on Route 4, or any other Vermont road,’Gov. Shumlin said in an afternoon stop at the Hartford Police Department, with Senate President Pro Tem John Campbell, Rep. Alison Clarkson, AOT Deputy Secretary Sue Minter, and others. ‘We will work with communities in this area to determine what safety measures make sense for Route 4. I also remind people to drive with caution and stay alert to prevent accidents.’ ‘The lives of our citizens are at stake,’said Sen. John Campbell. ‘Our obligation is to act now.’ Gov. Shumlin and Minter met with local emergency and town officials, including Hartford Police and Fire Chief Steve Locke and Woodstock Town Manager Phil Swanson, to discuss the increase in Route 4 accidents. The Governor outlined the state’s short-term assistance, including safety signage and paving, and pledged to work with local officials and emergency staff as conversations about longer-term solutions move forward. Gov. Shumlin said it’s not clear why Route 4 has been the scene of an unusually high number of accidents this spring, but if structural changes are needed, that will be determined and work will be scheduled.‘I cannot stress enough how important it is for drivers to slow down and pay attention on this road,’Gov. Shumlin said. ‘And as we head into summer, that need for caution extends across the state.’last_img read more

Ebinuma triumphs in 66-kg final

first_imgJudoka Masashi Ebinuma beat South Korean Kim Joo Jin in the men’s 66-kg final to claim the title at the Grand Slam Tokyo meet on Friday.Japanese judoka won all four weight categories in men’s and women’s action on the first day of the three-day meet at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium. Two-time Olympic champion Masato Uchishiba, however, lost by ippon in a quarterfinal match against South Korean An Jeong Hwan, who deployed a well-timed scooping throw for the win.The 19-year-old Ebinuma, who won the Kodokan Cup national weight-class championships last month, beat An in the semifinals. At 60 kg, Masaaki Fukuoka prevailed against world silver medalist Hiroaki Hiraoka to claim the title.On the women’s side, Beijing Olympic silver medalist Maki Tsukada won the over 78-kg title, while 19-year-old Akari Ogata defeated compatriot Sayaka Anai in the 78-kg final. IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5center_img GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMESlast_img read more

Newcastle set to offer €20-25m for Brazilian – Going back for…

first_imgThe news come from Tuttosport today, who say the player is returning to Juventus from his loan spell at Sassuolo, but could spend little time at the Old Lady.The newspaper explains the Magpies were already interested in taking him earlier this year, and now, will offer an amount of between €20m and €25m.Tuttosport don’t say how much Juventus will want for the player, but the end of his loan spell should certainly make things easier for a new move.Embed from Getty ImagesJuventus signed Rogério from Sassuolo back in 2016. A year later, they sent him back to the club on a two-year loan.It means the Old Lady never really used the Brazilian in their first team, and it doesn’t look like they will.Tuttosport also mentions the fact that Newcastle may be taken over by Khaled bin Zayed Al Nahyan.With the market keeping an eye on this move, perhaps clubs will start demanding more money from the Magpies after knowing they have more to spend. After being heavily linked to the Brazilian left-back Rogério in January, Newcastle United are reportedly making a new attempt to sign him this summer.last_img read more