World Bank: COVID-19 stalls progress against poverty

first_imgAs the global COVID-19 total closed in on 36 million cases, the World Bank today warned that COVID-19 is among the factors that could reverse progress in reducing extreme poverty. And India—the second hardest-hit country—reported some signs of a possible peak.The global total today climbed to 35,980,287 cases, and 1,052,193 people have died from their infections, according to the Johns Hopkins online tracker.Pandemic disruptions tipping more into povertyIn a new report on the status of poverty reduction efforts, the World Bank said extreme poverty has been declining steady for the 25 years that it has been formally tracking the trends.The agency predicted, however, that the increase in poverty between 2019 and 2020 will be the largest it has recorded, partly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the newest threat. Other persistent factors include conflict and climate change.The pandemic’s impact on poverty will be swift and substantial, the World Bank said, sharply increasing the number of people living in extreme poverty by 88 million to 115 million. “The novel virus is disrupting everything from daily lives to international trade,” it said. “The poorest are enduring the highest incidence of the disease and suffering the highest death rates worldwide.”Impacts from the pandemic will be felt by populations that had been relatively spared by other factors, with the newly poor likely to be more urban and educated than those who are chronically poor. Middle-income countries such as India and Nigeria could make up 75% of the newly poor group.Along with its assessment, the World Bank also recommended steps to remove obstacles to reducing poverty, such as closing the gaps between policy aspirations and follow-through. It also urged countries to enhance learning from experiences and improving data, singling out the lessons South Korea learned from an earlier Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) outbreak that it applied to managing its COVID-19 outbreak.Cases decline in India, rise in EuropeDaily cases in India reached an all-time high on Sep 17 but have been showing a downward trend, now averaging about 76,000 cases a day, Reuters reported. With the world’s second biggest population, the country has reported the world’s highest daily totals over the past several weeks.India Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan said the drop in daily cases is encouraging, and experts see signs that infections may be peaking, with cases stabilizing in big cities that have been the country’s main hot spots, possibly because large numbers have already been infected.Elsewhere, some European countries reported record daily case totals and announced new steps to control their surges. Cases are reported to be rising the fastest in the Czech Republic, which reported a record 4,457 cases yesterday, and in the Netherlands, which reported a new daily high of nearly 5,000 cases.In Brussels, the European capital with the second highest per capita number of infections behind Madrid, closed bars and cafes for the next month, Reuters reported, noting that later this week, officials will meet to discuss measures for keeping schools and universities open.Lawmakers in Italy today issued a nationwide mandate that requires people to wear facemasks outdoors to curb cases that have been rising steadily for the past 2 months, Reuters reported. A similar rule had already been in effect for Rome and the surrounding Lazio region. The cabinet also extended the country’s state of emergency until Jan 31, 2021.Resurgence in the CaribbeanIn the Americas, Brazil and the United States are the main drivers of new cases, but global health officials are also concerned about spikes in cases elsewhere, including countries such as Cuba and Jamaica that had effectively managed their outbreaks, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Director Carissa Etienne, MBBS, MSc, said at a media briefing today.Over the past 60 days, 11 countries and territories in the Caribbean have moved from moderate to intense transmission, a concerning development, given that many locations have reopened to air travel, she said.The United States makes up more than 40% of new cases in the Americas, with blacks, Hispanics, and Native American populations three times more likely to contract the virus, five times more likely to be hospitalized, and twice as likely to die, Etienne said.She also noted that indigenous people in Amazonian parts of Colombia and Brazil are 10 times more likely to contract COVID-19 and that PAHO increasingly worries about exposure to the virus among migrant and refugee populations.Etienne noted that recent data suggest that in some of the region’s countries, COVID-19 is taking a greater toll on younger people. Children account for more than half a million cases in the PAHO region, and the numbers continue to rise, she said, noting that although many won’t become ill and require intensive care unit treatment, they are not immune to the disease’s serious impacts.last_img read more

Ole Miss could still go fast if it wants to

first_imgPlay VideoPlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 0:00Loaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%0:00 Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1ChaptersChaptersdescriptions off, selectedDescriptionssubtitles off, selectedSubtitlescaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedCaptionsAudio TrackFullscreenThis is a modal window. The Video Cloud video was not found. Error Code: VIDEO_CLOUD_ERR_VIDEO_NOT_FOUND Session ID: 2020-09-17:f46babace181802aed7fc46 Player ID: videojs-brightcove-player-22365-3963141867001 OK Close Modal DialogCaption Settings DialogBeginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsDefaultsDoneClose Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.ATLANTA — Ole Miss co-offensive coordinator Dan Werner may have slipped up and revealed a bit of the team’s Peach Bowl gameplan.“We’re going to run our offense and do what we do best, go fast and let these guys make plays,” Werner said Sunday.Playing at a significant temp would be a change for No. 9 Ole Miss (9-3) this season, which has slowed down the pace of its offense this season. The Rebels play No. 6 TCU (11-1) on Wednesday (11:30 a.m., ESPN).The Rebels are running 70 plays per game, down from 78.3 in 2013 and 74 in 2012, coach Hugh Freeze’s first season. The hurry-up no-huddle offense was seen as one of the big draws for the Ole Miss offense in Freeze’s early days; the team still does not huddle, but it found this season it played better (and helped out its defense) if it played at a more deliberate pace.Baylor used its high-flying offense to score 61 points and gain 782 total yards on 109 plays in a three-point win against TCU on Oct. 11, and Werner was talking about the Bears when he mentioned pace of play.“It’s not like we’re going to change our scheme around just because Baylor did something well,” Werner said. “That’s something they do every week and they do a great job with it. Now there are things that they do that we do also, and so those are things we can put in (to the gameplan) and maybe emphasize much more than we usually do.”Werner said the team continues to practice each week with a fast pace, and always has it in their back pocket during games.“We can still go as fast as we’ve been going,” guard Justin Bell said. “I just think we’ve been slowing it down a little bit to give us more time to read defenses and read certain tendencies of our defenders. As well as give the quarterback more time to see the protection and change it if need be. So I feel like us slowing it down has helped us a lot, but at the same time we can speed it up if we have to. We have no problem doing that.”Bo’s new lookQuarterback Bo Wallace’s hair has been a topic for years among Ole Miss fans, as he alternated between growing it out to his shoulders and cutting most of it off.Now it appears his facial hair is getting the attention: the senior showed up to the Peach Bowl with a full beard.“I was home at Pulaski (Tennessee) and there are not that many people that you see that you have to be clean-shaven or anything,” Wallace said. “I was going to shave it when I got here or the next day, but everybody on the team has embraced it and told me not to. They said keep it. I’m at least going to keep it up until gameday.”Look at the backupsWallace watched the team’s bowl practices in Oxford before the Christmas break, giving backups Ryan Buchanan and DeVante Kincade a chance to share snaps with the first team. Werner said that was a good experience for both, who are expected to compete (along with juco signee Chad Kelly, should he join the team) for the starting job in 2015.“We’re excited about it. Those guys have gotten a lot of reps here the last couple of weeks and they’ve shown a lot of things they can do,” Werner said. “It’s great for them seeing fastball stuff in practice, instead of being with the second team all the time. It’s a good precursor for them to spring ball, to see what it’s all about and for us to see how they handle it.”last_img read more

Tokyo Olympic board member would support another delay

first_img First Published: 16th June, 2020 13:06 IST COMMENT Associated Press Television News SUBSCRIBE TO US Written By An executive board member of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee says another delay should be sought if the games can’t be held next year.The Tokyo Olympics were to be held this year but were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. The suggestion comes from Haruyuki Takahashi in an interview published Monday in the Japanese sports newspaper Nikkan Sports.“The main priority is to make a united effort to hold them (Olympics) in the summer of 2021,” Takahashi said.He said if that is not possible “we should start action once again to get another delay.”Estimates in Japan suggest the one-year delay will cost $2 billion to $6 billion, most of which will fall to Japanese taxpayers.International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach and local organizing committee President Yoshiro Mori have both ruled out another delay and have said the games will be canceled if they can’t open on July 23, 2021.Takahashi has been intimately tied to the Tokyo Games.He’s reported to have received millions of dollars from the Tokyo bid committee for his work lobbying IOC members when Tokyo was chosen in 2013 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, ahead of Madrid and Istanbul.Takahashi is a former employee of the giant Japanese advertising agency Dentsu, Inc., which has been credited with helping Tokyo land the Olympics. Dentsu is the exclusive marketing agency for the Tokyo Olympics and has been pivotal in lining up a record $3.3 billion in local sponsorships.Image credits: AP center_img Last Updated: 16th June, 2020 13:06 IST Tokyo Olympic Board Member Would Support Another Delay An executive board member of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee says another delay should be sought if the games can’t be held next year FOLLOW US LIVE TV WATCH US LIVElast_img read more