Tigers in thick of WVC softball race

first_imgBy Hub City Times staffMARSHFIELD – The Marshfield High School softball team entered May with its sights on first place in the Wisconsin Valley Conference (WVC). To close out April, the Tigers beat Wisconsin Rapids 10-4 April 30 at Marshfield Fairgrounds Park. The Tigers used a six-run sixth inning to secure the win.Courtney Donahue was the winning pitcher. She tossed all seven innings and gave up four earned runs on nine hits while walking five and striking out 12. Madeline Bornbach had the big day at the plate for the Tigers. She had a double and four runs batted in. Jordan Pretsch had three base hits and an RBI, while Loryn Jakobi added two singles and a run batted in.Perhaps the two biggest wins of the season so far came two days later, when the Tigers swept Merrill in a doubleheader May 2. Marshfield won the first game 6-1. Donahue got the win. In seven innings of work, she gave up one run on three hits while walking two and striking out two.Bornbach and Rhiannon Corozolla each had a single, a home run, and two runs batted in. Taylor Barwick added a single and a double.Marshfield won the second game 10-6. Donahue again got the win. She pitched two-and-a-third innings, giving up one hit while walking one and striking out three. Bornbach and Loryn Jakobi each had two base hits and two RBIs. Brianna Jakobi singled and drove in three runs. Maddie Mews recorded two base hits and one RBI. Those wins put Marshfield within half a game in the WVC race, behind Stevens Point. Merrill went from first to third place with the losses.Marshfield ended the week with a tough loss at Tomah on May 3. The Tigers lost 9-8 in eight innings. Jenna Jakobi led Marshfield with two singles, a double, two home runs, and two runs batted in. Corozolla had a pair of singles, two doubles, and three RBIs. Bohman had two base hits and drove in a run as well. The loss dropped Marshfield’s record to 9-4 overall.last_img read more

South African finance minister resigns after graft testimony

first_imgJOHANNESBURG – South Africa’s finance minister resigned on Tuesday after acknowledging missteps during the scandal-tainted tenure of former president Jacob Zuma.The resignation of Nhlanhla Nene was announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa, who has pledged to clean up corruption and revive South Africa’s economy, which is in recession. The president appointed Tito Mboweni, former head of the South African Reserve Bank, as the new minister and told him to be ready for a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday.Ramaphosa said he accepted a resignation letter from Nene in “the interests of good governance” and praised him, saying he quit to avoid creating distractions from the task of restoring trust in the South African government.The president said Nene had not been implicated in any wrongdoing, though opposition parties have called for an investigation of an investment by the state-run Public Investment Corporation that may have benefited Nene’s son, Siyabonga. Nene has denied that he acted inappropriately in that case.Last week, Nene told a corruption inquiry that he had visited the home of the Guptas, a business family linked to alleged graft under Zuma, and he later apologized for his “lapses.”The visits occurred when he was deputy finance minister and also finance minister before Zuma fired him from that post in 2015, according to Nene. He said the economy was discussed and that he was not asked to do anything to benefit the Gupta family.Nene said he believed he was fired because he refused to “toe the line” on projects, including a since-abandoned deal for nuclear energy, that may have benefited the Gupta family and other Zuma associates.Ramaphosa, a former deputy president, brought Nene back into the Cabinet after replacing Zuma, who resigned in February. Zuma, who was charged with corruption, and the Guptas have denied wrongdoing.___Follow Christopher Torchia on Twitter at www.twitter.com/torchiachrislast_img read more

Kalimpong police attach properties of Dawa Lepcha

first_imgDarjeeling: Kalimpong police have attached the properties of Dawa Lepcha, following a court directive. Lepcha is a former GTA member from Kalimpong and the brother-in-law of Gorkha leader Bimal Gurung. An agitation had taken place in the Darjeeling and Kalimpong Hills in 2017, which had culminated in a 104-day-long bandh. Lepcha, along with Gurung, had been charged in multiple cases and since then have been absconding.Lepcha has been charged under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Prevention of Disruption of Public Property Act (PDPP). Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThe court had directed Lepcha to appear in many of the cases. There was a warrant issued in his name as well. Later, the court had declared Lepcha as an absconder. A proclamation of attachment had also been issued by the court. A large police contingent arrived at Lepcha’s house located at Kashyong village in Kalimpong on Sunday. They took possession of whatever was there in the house, including furniture, utensils and electronic goods.last_img read more

‘Vote to drive Modi out of power’

first_imgChopra (North Dinajpur): With just hours to go before the polls, Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee trained guns on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and said if he is taking credit for the air strike, then he should also take responsibility for the killing of 40 jawans who lost their lives in a terror strike in Pulwama on February 14.Addressing an election rally in Chopra on Wednesday afternoon, Banerjee said: “This time it is a very important election. This election is to defeat the BJP. It is to drive out the BJP from power… This election is to make sure that Narendra Modi can never be the Prime Minister of the country again. We must ensure that they (BJP) never come back.” She further said it is most unfortunate that Modi is taking credit for the air strike. “It is a shame that Modi had asked the first-time voters in an election meeting to exercise their franchise in favour of BJP keeping in mind the action of the Indian Army. We are all proud of the Army and Modi is taking credit for their feats. He should then also take responsibility for the death of the jawans and will have to answer whose callousness had led to the unfortunate incident. The Centre had the information that there could be an attack but still no action was taken to save their lives,” she asked. She also alleged that all the institutions have lost their sanctity because of constant intervention from the saffron party. “The integrity and credibility of the agencies are being questioned because of BJP,” she maintained. Banerjee said BJP is trying to divide between the people of the Hills and plains. “When Darjeeling was burning, Modi did not come to solve the problem nor did the BJP MP was seen anywhere. They have now come to get votes and win the election.” The Chief Minister stated that in the past four-and-a-half-years, Modi had not done anything for India. “Note ban is a curse and has affected thousands of poor people. Many have lost their jobs. The unemployment is mounting and he had made a false promise that 2 crore people will get jobs per year. The economic condition of the country has turned from bad to worse. But he is unperturbed and busy in making foreign trips.” Banerjee urged people not to waste their votes by casting them in favour of BJP, CPI(M) or Congress. “Two Congress leaders, one in Berhampore and another in Jangipur are receiving support from the RSS. Congress gets support from BJP and CPI(M). A Congress worker attends his party meetings in the morning, CPI(M) in the afternoon and BJP in the evenings,” she alleged. The TMC supremo said Amar Singh Rai, the local candidate, is a son of the soil and will do all-round development in Darjeeling. Chopra falls under Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat where the election will be held on April 18.last_img read more

Cong will not cut into UP gathbandhan’s vote, will damage BJP: Priyanka Gandhi

first_imgSalon: The Congress is not at all cutting into votes of the SP-BSP-RLD alliance in Uttar Pradesh as the party has fielded candidates either with prospects of victory or having potential to damage BJP’s chances in the state, Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra said on Wednesday.Asked whether she was afraid of contesting against Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Varanasi, Priyanka said she was not scared at all and that she joined politics “for good”. “If Priyanka Gandhi gets scared, she will sit at home and not do politics. I am in politics for good and will be there,” she said. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghThe Congress general secretary in-charge of eastern Uttar Pradesh also hit out at the BJP for what she called its “obsession” with the Gandhi family when the focus should be on solving people’s problems. On the political landscape in Uttar Pradesh, Priyanka said, “We have carefully chosen candidates so that either Congress wins or they cut into BJP’s votes. Congress is not at all cutting into votes of the ‘UP gathbandhan’.” Priyanka was talking to the media during her campaign trail in Amethi where her brother Rahul Gandhi is seeking re-election. Asked whether Rahul Gandhi will become the prime minister, Priyanka said, “My brother will prove to be a good prime minister. Whether he will become the prime minister or not, the public has to decide.” The Samajwadi Party (SP), Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) forged an alliance months before the Lok Sabha polls, but kept out the Congress as there was no agreement on seat-sharing. According to political observers, the anti-BJP vote could get split between the Congress and the UP alliance, benefitting BJP.last_img read more

Locked out of what he loves former Buckeye James Laurinaitis may take

Although four months remain until the NFL season will officially be under way, former Buckeye and current St. Louis Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis is ready for the NFL and the NFL Players Association to reach an agreement so he can get back to doing what he loves. “I don’t find anything good from being locked out from what we love to do,” Laurinaitis said. “I’m a football junkie. I’d rather be there, doing OTAs (Organized Team Activities) and all that stuff.” The lockout has lasted more than a month, but for football fans who fear a fall without the sport, the former Ohio State three-time All-American had some encouraging words. “I think football will happen,” Laurinaitis said. “If I had to put a percent on it, I’d probably say 95 percent.” But if that 5 percent doubt prevails and the NFL doesn’t play in 2011, fans of another contact sport might be happy to know he would consider joining their business. “I should take up pro wrestling. It’d be a natural transition,” Laurinaitis said. “I might have to try to get in the ring a little bit, take on John Cena or Randy Orton.” His father, Joe, better known as “The Animal” to World Wrestling Entertainment fans, is a professional-wrestling legend and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in early April. The younger Laurinaitis might not live up to his father’s in-ring legacy, but says it’s not out of the question that he would follow in his father’s footsteps for a short time if he can’t play football. “I’d consider it,” Laurinaitis said. “You don’t want to mess around and get hurt. But if it’s just a few run-downs here and there or something, I’d maybe at least get some of the training done.” Although he isn’t certain what he’ll be doing in the fall, Laurinaitis is certain of the impact the lockout will have, and he says it affects more than just the NFL and its players. “It’s bigger than just the players and the owners,” he said. “It’s the vendors. It’s the people that turn their yards into parking lots, the bars, the restaurants, the hotels, everything around a stadium in a city that thrives from these moments. I think it hurts the overall economy if we don’t play.” Laurinaitis says he isn’t worried about money himself, but he isn’t so sure about other guys in the league. “I’ve saved up my money. I don’t spend my money on anything stupid. I get all my clothes usually from Nike, or I wear the stuff I’ve worn through college,” he said. “The only thing I’ve got to worry about is taking care of myself and my dogs and paying a mortgage on a house that I can easily afford and buy off if I want to. “Usually, we wouldn’t have checks come in until about this time anyway. Guys will start hurting when you don’t get those game checks, but I think we’ll get them.” Negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA have been moved to court, but ESPN reported that Judge Susan Richard Nelson will force the two sides to mediate this week. Until an agreement is reached, WWE fans can hold out hope for another “Animal” to battle in the squared circle. The WWE did not immediately return phone calls for comment. read more

Seedorf open to other offers

first_imgClarence Seedorf has revealed that he is open to receiving “other offers” despite having failed to keep Deportivo La Coruna in La LigaThe Dutch legend was tasked with the challenge of saving the struggling side from relegation on February 5 after disappointing spells in charge of both AC Milan and China League One team Shenzhen F.C.However, the 42-year-old was unable to inspire a fightback at Deportivo with later club confirmed as relegated in their hard-fought 4-2 draw against Barcelona last month.In his 16 games in charge of the Estadio Riazor, Seedorf only won two of them and had a further six draws.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.But the Dutchman is remaining optimistic over his future managerial opportunities and hinted that he may stay at Deportivo for another season in charge.“After the Valencia game, everyone can talk to everyone,” said Seedorf, according to Marca.“If I don’t have anything concrete, if other offers arrive, I will listen to them.“Just as the club has said that they will listen to other coaches and other proposals as well, I’m going to listen to other projects and see what’s around.”last_img read more

La Liga president would bet 10000 that the US match will

first_imgThe Spanish league wants to play one official game in the United States for the next 15 years but is seeing a lot of obstaclesAfter it was announced that one official Spanish La Liga match would be played every year in the United States for the next 15 years, many were against the idea.From coaches to players, to even the Gianni Infantino president of FIFA, it seems like this project has many detractors.But for La Liga president Javier Tebas, the match is a sure thing, so sure he is willing to bet $10,000 that the idea will go ahead.“I would bet $10,000 that the game will take place,” he told CNN Sport.David Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“I know both Spain and the sports world and therefore I knew it would not be easy and that there would be unrest.”According to Tebas, Barcelona and Girona will be the first two clubs to play an official La Liga match in the United States.“It is an industry that is resistant to change, so other things we have done have also been hard. It’s almost sure that we are going to play in Miami,” said Tebas.“As I’ve said before, I know my country well and its sporting institutions and therefore we knew that this unrest was going to take place.”“I am not surprised by it. We have a strategy, we have a plan and we are going to keep working with the goal of being in Miami on January 26 at the Hard Rock Stadium,” he added.last_img read more

Alwayson Android voicecontrolled Ubi starts preorders

first_imgAs for the range of the microphone, their tests showed that it can pick up regular-volume voices from 15 feet away. As for power consumption, the Ubi in normal mode will draw less than 3 W. When fully functioning and with LEDs at full power, the level may go up to 10 W. The team said the Ubi is packed with sensors—temperature, humidity, air pressure and ambient light sensors—that can provide feedback information for various rooms in a home. With an open platform, the Ubi is based on Android. and carries 1 GB RAM. The company launched Ubi as a Kickstarter project this summer, and they raised $229,594 with 1,190 backers. They now have announced that Ubi is on pre-order at $219 per device, available in April next year. A ten-pack is $1399. When the Ubi becomes available for shipment, the price per Ubi will be $269.They see the device as going over well with users in larger-size residences where information from the Ubi about rooms—such as baby monitoring, or managing thermostats—would be useful. They also said they see “huge potential” for Ubi as an assistive device for people with physical impairments who, for example, may have limited mobility or vision.The Ubi team also has a message for developers. The Ubi, on an open-platform, can be tapped into. Unified Computer Intelligence intends to release an SDK “with hooks into all the functionalities of the Ubi.” Citation: Always-on Android voice-controlled Ubi starts pre-orders (2012, November 4) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2012-11-always-on-android-voice-controlled-ubi-pre-orders.html More information: www.kickstarter.com/projects/6 … e-activated-and-al-0 Company uses Kinect to create a touchscreen out of any surface (w/ Video) Explore further (Phys.org)—The Toronto-based company Unified Computer Intelligence Corporation has announced that its Ubi is now available for pre-order. Ubi, a Kickstarter project, was named to serve as a shorthand reminder of ubiquitous computing. The Ubi is a plug-in device with speakers, a microphone, and multicolored LED indicator lights. You plug it into a wall outlet, connecting it to your home’s WiFi, and the Ubi becomes an always-on, hands free, computer device that stays dormant until you say “Ubi.” The word Ubi wakes it up to receive a verbal command or question (“How many teaspoons in an ounce?”). The company’s three-engineer team, Amin Abdossalami, Mahyar Fotoohi, and Leor Greble, promote their device as always listening, always ready to help, as it will either talk back to you with the information you seek, or will relay information through its lights. Commenting on the stage of voice recognition for Internet search, they said that they did not believe a project such as the Ubi would have been possible a year ago, but “we’re confident that we’re now at a point where we can use existing services for speech recognition.” This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. © 2012 Phys.orglast_img read more